Body brushing is an amazingly effective home body treatment that takes just 5 minutes of your day before showering or bathing.
Why Body Brush?
There are numerous reasons why body brushing should be your new year resolution and suprisingly not all of them aesthetic.
1. Stimulates your lymphatic system
In your body, your lymphatic system is the system responsible for eliminating cellular waste products.
When this system is not working properly, waste and toxins can build up and make you ill. By stimulating your lymphatic system and helping it release toxins, dry skin brushing is a powerful detoxification aid.
2. Stress Relief
The act of dry brushing can be like a light body massage and may reduce muscle tension, calm your mind, and relieve stress.
3. Improve Digestion and Kidney Function
Dry skin brushing may go even deeper, helping to support your digestion and organ function.
Dry skin brushing helps to removes dead dry skin, improving appearance, clearing your clogged pores, and allowing your skin to “breathe” and look more even in tone and texture and brighter in appearance. It also means that when you apply your body oils and creams, they are absorbed far more effectively.
5. Reduce Cellulite
I have saved the best for last! Dry skin brushing may help to soften hard fat deposits below the skin and distribute more evenly. This may help to diminish the appearance of cellulite.
Dry brushing is also said to help reduce cellulite by removing toxins that may break down connective tissues.
How to Body Brush Effectively
- Work in gentle circular, upward motions, then longer, smoother strokes.
- Always begin at the ankles in upwards movements towards the heart – the lymphatic fluid flows through the body towards the heart, so it’s important that you brush in the same direction.
- After you’ve finished with the ankles, move up to the lower legs, thighs, stomach, back and arms.
- Be cautious of softer and sensitive skin around the chest and breasts, and never brush over inflamed skin, sores, sun-burnt skin, or skin cancer.
- Ensure you shower to wash away the dead skin cells and impurities.
- Apply your favourite moisturiser. I would recommend frankincense toning cream.
Looking for the perfect brush to start body brushing?
Give it a go. Your body will love you for it!!